Sunday, July 4, 2010

Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup

Inspired by the slow cooker vegetable soup made at kinder this week, and buoyed by the success of feeding my three little terrors soup in mugs outside on the deck next to our Winter Solstice bonfire, I thought I'd make some pumpkin soup to use up some pumpkin my mother had given me from her garden. She has a tendency to pick them too early, as she doesn't like them growing too big, so a recipe that had other flavours to boost the pumpkin in case that was the case this time was just what I was after.

I based my soup on this recipe at Taste.com.au, with a few tweaks as I went. Firstly, the day before I roasted the pumpkin, in it's skin. This was to add depth of flavour, and also to make it easier to remove the skin.

I also needed 3 cups of stock, because of the size of my cooker, the vegies weren't quite covered with 2 1/2.

The kids didn't like the soup, because it "burned their tongues" - wimps. I only used 1 teaspoon of curry powder, because I knew it would get strengthened by the long cook time, but I should have only used a 1/2. I thought it was nice at least.

0 comments: