Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Edible Word: Golden Eggs (Cupcakes)


It's been a long time since I joined in a blog event, (funnily enough that was one of Stephanie's too!) but when I saw that one of my favourite bloggers, Stephanie over at Dispensing Happiness was cohosting with Cath from A Blithe Palate another edition of The Edible Word (Remember that?) I could not resist any longer.

The book in question was Confections of a Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado. Since it doesn't come out until the 8th, do what I did and go read the first chapter, available as a pdf on the Amazon site. Right at the end, it has this recipe, Golden Eggs.

It made 18 cupcakes, and this cake as well.



This event was perfect timing, I passed 14 of the cupcakes on to my sister when I visited her for her birthday, and then when my parents gave me a lift home, I gave them the cake. All the fun of baking, none of the calories! (Well some of the calories. We all had a cupcake each - except Master One).

Now, I don't know about these tasting like donuts, but we ate ours cold. Perhaps they taste like donuts if you eat them still oven warm. Either way, they were delicious. And as a bonus, when watching the step-by-step instructional video Gesine has on her blog, I actually learned something. All these years I've been cooking, and I don't think I've ever creamed something right. Everything I've baked since watching this has turned out so much nicer, even if it does take three times as long to make.

Keep an eye out in a few days at your local bookstore, looks like this one is a keeper! Also go and check out A Blithe Palate for 3(!) posts of round-up!