Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dulce De Leche Flourless Chocolate Cake

This past week was my sister's birthday, so it was fitting that this week's theme for the cookbook challenge was Celebration. I love that she is only four houses down from me, so I can always make baked goods, and then hand them off onto her. With this cake though, I'm not sure that will happen. But I had to make it, regardless of the imminent danger to my hips and thighs, because, well, after all, I promised you, didn't I?

Dulce De Leche Flourless Chocolate Cake (from Viva la Vida - Rafael Palomino)
450g (1 pound) semisweet chocolate, chopped
6 eggs, separated
2 Tbsp Dulce de Leche
Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter a 9-inch springform pan.

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate over barely simmering water. Remove from heat, pour into a large bowl, and set aside.

In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until well blended. Fold the yolks into the melted chocolate,

then fold in the whites. Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan. Spoon the dulce de leche into the center of the chocolate mixture. Smooth the top with a spatula.

Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Place on a serving plate and remove the sides of the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature, with vanilla ice cream if you like.


This was an entry for
The Cookbook Challenge: Week 41 - Celebration.

0 comments: