Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pancake-in-a-jar

It was fairly certain to me that this week, being TV Chef week, was going to end up being another Nigella recipe. Either that, or something from Kevin Woodford's Planet Cook cookbook I borrowed from the library once. While the Pyramids of Toast did appeal to the food stylist in me, I knew that I really needed to cook something more than toast with scrambled eggs. Then I remembered Nigella's recipe for pancake mix.

I have a friend, who is always posting on my Facebook feed about how much she wants pancakes. Begging people to come and cook her pancakes, boasting when they do, talking about going out for pancakes. She is, by her own admission, not the best or even a capable cook, so when I first saw this recipe, I thought of her. And so when this weeks theme rolled around, it seemed only natural to make a jar or two of this, and give them to her, since it's her birthday in a few weeks. And I know she follows this blog, so it won't be much of a suprise, but she can rest assured I have another suprise up my sleeve for her.

Pancake-in-a-jar (Nigella Express - Nigella Lawson)
FOR THE PANCAKE MIX
600g flour
3 x 15ml Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
40 g vanilla or caster sugar

Mix all the ingredients together and store in a jar.

TO MAKE THE BATTER AND THE PANCAKES
For each 150g pancake mix, add and whisk together:
1 egg
250ml semi-skimmed or full-fat milk
1 x 15ml Tbsp melted butter

Heat a flat griddle or pan with no oil.
Spoon drops of 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp of batter onto the hot griddle or into the pan and, when bubbles appear on the surface of the little pancakes, flip them over to make them golden brown on both sides. A minute or so a side should do it.

Makes 15 pancakes, each about 8 cm in diameter.


This was an entry for
The Cookbook Challenge: Week 39 - TV Chef.

1 comments:

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

What a perfect gift for your pancake obsessed friend. I can imagine her having pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner on her birthday.