Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dulce de Leche Ice Cream

I had a big batch of failed Dulce de leche that I wanted to do something with, so I used 1 2/3 cups of it as milk in this delicious recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I placed the remaining 1/3 of it, along with one can of sweetened condensed milk, into the microwave to make it into 'proper' dulce de leche, with the thick caramelly consistency.

After I had the consistency I wanted, I added it to the cinnamony milk, and some cream, and put it in an ice cream tub to freeze. I was too lazy to get the ice cream machine out to be honest, and had too many dishes to consider washing all those parts afterwards. I used my stick mixer to churn it up before I froze it, and once every hour or two after putting it in the freezer, to prevent large ice crystals forming.

It has what I consider to be the perfect consistency, like some of the first ice cream recipes I made that were just cream, flavour and sweetened condensed milk. (Mashed banana is spectacular like that). It's sort of like a cross between soft serve and a very soft caramel. It's delicious, but sticky, so you don't really want to use this recipe for a cake filling, or for ice cream pie, or even popsicles, because it will stick to your molds, or knife or make crumbs. Just eat it straight from the container with a spoon, you'll be much happier for it. :D

On the plus side, you can scoop (or spoon!) this straight from the freezer so you don't have to think ahead for defrosting time, like so many other homemade ice creams.


Kelly said...

Gorgeous. I love the photo above of you scooping it. It looks incredibly creamy and lush. Glad you were able to find a new use for it.