Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dulce de Leche Ice Cream

I had a big batch of failed Dulce de leche that I wanted to do something with, so I used 1 2/3 cups of it as milk in this delicious recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I placed the remaining 1/3 of it, along with one can of sweetened condensed milk, into the microwave to make it into 'proper' dulce de leche, with the thick caramelly consistency.

After I had the consistency I wanted, I added it to the cinnamony milk, and some cream, and put it in an ice cream tub to freeze. I was too lazy to get the ice cream machine out to be honest, and had too many dishes to consider washing all those parts afterwards. I used my stick mixer to churn it up before I froze it, and once every hour or two after putting it in the freezer, to prevent large ice crystals forming.

It has what I consider to be the perfect consistency, like some of the first ice cream recipes I made that were just cream, flavour and sweetened condensed milk. (Mashed banana is spectacular like that). It's sort of like a cross between soft serve and a very soft caramel. It's delicious, but sticky, so you don't really want to use this recipe for a cake filling, or for ice cream pie, or even popsicles, because it will stick to your molds, or knife or make crumbs. Just eat it straight from the container with a spoon, you'll be much happier for it. :D

On the plus side, you can scoop (or spoon!) this straight from the freezer so you don't have to think ahead for defrosting time, like so many other homemade ice creams.

1 comments:

Kelly said...

Gorgeous. I love the photo above of you scooping it. It looks incredibly creamy and lush. Glad you were able to find a new use for it.