Thursday, May 15, 2008

Baby Spinach & Mushroom Bosccaiola



Sorry for the particularly bad photo tonight, the flash glared off the cheese. And I did see this at the time, but I was too hungry, and it smelt too good, to stop and try and get a better photo.

Another very simple dinner tonight, and yes, I cheated again a little. I boiled up a full (500g) pack of fettucine in a large pot of salted water, as you do, and while that was cooking I made the sauce. There was some leftover chopped onion from the calzones yesterday, about 3/4 of one, along with 2 or 3 mushrooms that had been halved and then sliced, and the smallest handful of chopped green capsicum. I sliced up another 4 mushrooms, and lightly fried the lot. I had a packet of Continental Mushroom Bosccaiola sauce mix, which required 1 1/2 cups of milk to be mixed with it, and then I threw that in the pan too.

I thinned it out with a bit of the pasta water, since the sauce cooked faster than the pasta, and got a little too thick, but found upon tasting it needed something. In hindsight, I think a few rashers of friend and chopped bacon was it, but I used about 1 1/2 tablespoons of french mustard, and got a passable result Add in about 3 cups (or maybe 2 - I don't know, I never measured it, just went, 'yeah, that'll be enough' in the supermarket) of baby spinach and there you have it. The kids ate it, the adults (as usual) had no comment, except for DP's remark of 'fettucine always needs bacon' when I finally figured out what was missing. Well, now I know don't I?

0 comments: