Thursday, April 24, 2008

Jazzie's Broccoli Pie

Another challenge from the Taste.com.au forums. This was last night's dinner/today's lunch.
Jazzie’s Broccoli Pie - great hot with salad or cold for lunches
1 sheet puff pastry (thawed)
1 head broccoli (cut into flowerets)
5 eggs
1 cup grated cheese
1 big cup natural yogurt
2-3 rashes bacon (chopped)

Place puff pastry on pie dish.
Cook broccoli for few minutes – drain & distribute over pastry sheet
Mix eggs, yogurt, cheese & bacon together, pour over broccoli.
Cook in moderate oven for approx 45mts or until top golden brown/set.
You can add chopped mushrooms, onions if you like too.


I made very few adjustments, as I always like to try someone else's recipe on it's own merits. Ok, that's not quite true, I meddle with heaps of cookbook, blog and other web recipes. But when someone challenges me to make something using their recipe, I feel a little wrong changing it too much.

But others in the forum had already made this, so I did as some before me had done, and fried my onions and bacon. Only, I didn't have a spare onion, so I used some leftover spring onions, and a baby leek. Oh, and I fried up the last 4 shrivelled mushrooms from the bottom of the fridge too. I cooked it in a slightly too large tin, so there really wasn't much pastry to speak of on the sides. It was different to my usual quiche recipe. The kids didn't really like it much cold for lunch, probably too yogurt-y, but it was very nice for a (very) late dinner last night with wedges during Num3ers.

I think I'd just add the broccoli to my standard recipe if I wanted something like this again.

0 comments: