Tuesday, August 18, 2009

French Onion, Mushroom & Zucchini Risotto



Another cheats risotto. I've found that simply using aborio rice the same way I used long grain still ends up with a passable risotto. Of course, the only risotto I've ever had that didn't come from a packet, or wasn't cooked by me was at a pub, and wasn't even made with aborio rice, so I'm not the best judge of what could reasonably pass as a "real" risotto.

French Onion, Mushroom & Zucchini Risotto
1 cup aborio rice
2 cups hot water
1 packet french onion soup mix (the type that makes up litres, not a cup-a-soup)
100g chopped mushrooms (about two large flat ones)
1 zucchini, chopped
50g butter (give or take)

Place the first three ingredients in a microwave proof container, and cook on high for 3-4 minutes. Stir, and then repeat as many times as necessary until the rice is cooked, about 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile throw everything else in a frypan, and cook gently until the rice is done. Stir the rice into the vegetables until coated in all that lovely buttery goodness. If you have cream, now would be a great time to add it. I didn't, so I added milk instead, but that's totally optional.

0 comments: