Saturday, July 31, 2010

Deconstructed Swiss Roll Ice Cream cake

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

I tried this month, I really did. I made this fabulous lemon ice cream and had every intention of making a lime ice cream with the same recipe. Miss Four made us some lemon butter to use instead of chocolate sauce, and I made my very first ever swiss roll.

I filled it with a delightful Lemon-Lime-Pine pudding made from flavoured gelatin and sweetened condensed milk. And the cake itself is this delicious Pineapple Sponge recipe.


Look at that spiral!

But in the end I just couldn't get it together enough to mold a proper cake like everyone else, and the posting date was already past, and really, how were we going to eat such a large dessert anyway? So I dished up individual slices of cake, topped with a scoop of lemon ice cream, and drizzled lemon butter over the top.

At least I did some daring baking this month - the thought of rolling a swiss roll had always scared me, but now that I've done it, I found it was so very simple, I wonder why there is such a mythos around it.

0 comments: