Thursday, July 8, 2010

Kids Cooking Thursday: Choc Orange Muffins

A rather delicious muffin recipe from Coles free Winter magazine. My MIL made these, and they were so delicious I thought we should make a batch ourselves. Nice and easy, and according to the recipe, only $0.65 a serve. I used expensive dark chocolate, but I also managed to get 3 more than they did, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

Choc Orange Muffins
175g butter, chopped
175g dark chocolate, chopped (we used half Lindt Orange Intense and half Green & Blacks Maya Gold, for that extra orange hit)
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 orange, zested, and sliced into thin slices (you'll need at least 6)
1 cup SR flour
2 Tbsp cocoa

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with patty cases.


Melt butter and chocolate together


Add in the sugar


Stir until the sugar has dissolved


Zest the orange

Add the beaten eggs and the orange zest into the chocolate mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until well combined.
Sift the flour and cocoa.


Fold the cocoa and flour into the mixture - lick mix off hand when you think Mum isn't watching

Fill the prepared pans with a dessert spoon of mixture each. 2/3s full is where you should aim for. Top each muffin with a chunk of orange slice. A quarter or third of a slice is enough, depending on the size of your orange. (I trimmed the peel from our orange slices, because none of us like peel)


Obligatory In-the-oven-because-I-forgot-to-take-a-photo Photo

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before eating.

You can see my three "extra" muffins at the back - they were the ones that didn't fit in my tray. I just used double cases and set them on a flat tray.

If you'd like to join in with Kids Cooking Thursday please leave a permalink to your own Kids Cooking Thursday post, as per the rules.

0 comments: