Thursday, July 1, 2010

Kids Cooking Thursday: Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup

Bit of a special post today, we took KCT on the road. Miss Four's kinder teacher asked me to come in and help the kids make Vegetable Soup. The kinder has these really neat little kid safe knives, that look like little saws, and the children use them to help chop up their fruit every Wednesday. Miss Four was allowed to pick one friend to help her, and then as we went on, we picked up another two little girls to peel and chop, so I ended up with four industrious little busy bees chopping away for me. I mostly only took photos of Miss Four, for privacy reasons, but I couldn't resist a group shot near the end, in which I have smudged and blurred faces. I'd love to get a couple of those knives for cooking at home - it really suprised me how capable Miss Four was with it, and I think she could start helping me cook dinner more often, if I only had a safe knife she could use.

Vegetable Soup
2 sticks celery
2 carrots
2 potatoes
3 small zucchinis
1 sweet potato
1 turnip
1 red capsicum (or any vegetables you like really)

Peel and dice vegetables (or get a bunch of four year olds to do it for you). Place in a slow cooker, and cover with water. Cook for 8 hours on LOW (or overnight - it won't hurt it. We cooked ours for almost 24.) or 4 hours on HIGH.
Use a stick blender to make it smooth like we did, or you can leave it chunky.


Celery requires intense concentration


That turnip was really tough work!


The team hard at work


Two tubs full, ready to cook


Ready for a nice slow overnight cook



If you'd like to join in with Kids Cooking Thursday please leave a permalink to your own Kids Cooking Thursday post, as per the rules.

0 comments: