Saturday, July 10, 2010

Groentesoep met balletjes

This is a Dutch soup I remember fondly from when I was growing up. It's a great way to stretch a tiny amount of mince, and get kids to eat their vegies. Master Six had three helpings, and Miss Four and I both had two. Plus, there are three individual serves in freezer bags for my lunches. All with mince that was less than half of what I normally use for one meal.


from The Art of Dutch Cooking - Countess van Limburg Stirum

I used 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, corn, peas) along with one diced onion and a diced stick of celery. I also added two handfuls of chopped frozen celery leaves (which I save whenever I buy a bunch).


Vegetable soup boiling

You can see above that I used two packs of two minute noodles, along with the flavour satchels, instead of rice, because DP doesn't eat rice.


Tiny raw meatballs


Almost done

Too easy. Dinner took around half an hour, including meatball rolling time. I started the vegetables boiling, then mixed and rolled the meat, dropping each ball straight into the soup as it was rolled. Master Two had to have his strained, so he could eat the noodles and meat with a fork, and drink the soup from a mug, but he went back for seconds too, so it didn't put him off any!

This was an entry for
The Cookbook Challenge: Week 34 - Soups.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the sound of this soup and also your tip for freezing the celery leaves as I tend to just throw them out. Thanks!