Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hay, Hay, It's Donna Day: Triple Choc Pancakes

I've learned quite a few things since starting food blogging. One of the most useful (and weird to outsiders - ie DP) is something I picked up from Stephanie over at Dispensing Happiness. Whenever she gets a new cookbook, she goes through it with a stack of page markers, flagging any recipe she'd like to try. Now I don't get new cookbooks that often, but I do get 2 or 3 food magazines a month, and I recently received over 50 food magazines from my MIL who didn't want them anymore. So I've been slowly making my way through those, and when this months new recipes+ came out, I decided to flag everything I wanted to cook 'sometime' - not just write in what I wanted to cook this fortnight in the menu plan. And I'm glad I did, because when I saw the theme for this month's Hay, Hay, It's Donna Day (hosted by Home Gourmets) I knew exactly what to cook - these delicious chocolate pancakes. The strawberries at Coles didn't look too great for $2 a punnet, so I switched vanilla ice cream with sliced strawberries for chocolate choc chip ice cream. DP said that these must be quadruple choc pancakes then, but I think that's a bit of a mouthful... just like the pancakes were really.

Triple Choc Pancakestaken from September 08 recipes+ magazine
2 cups SR flour
2 tbsp cocoa
1/2 cupbrown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup Nutino (or Nutella, or whatever the favourite choc hazelnut spread is in your house)
8 scoops chocolate choc chip ice cream

Sift flour, cocoa and sugar together into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
Whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla in a jug, and gradually whisk into the flour until just combined.
If you work the batter too hard, your pancakes will be rubbery, so keep a light hand.
Fry in a lightly oiled frypan over moderate heat. Use 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, and cook until bubbles appear (about 2 mins) then flip and cook the other side for the same amount of time.
Spread with Nutino and top with ice cream, then serve.

Check out the round up here

3 comments:

Suzana said...

Triple choc? Sounds like any chocoholic dream!! Glad you joined HHDD. Thanks for entering a yummy entry!

Sam said...

Mmmm... these sound great, I've never thought of putting cocoa in pancakes before.
Thanks for the nice comments over at my blog.
Sam

Barbara said...

Chocolate + pancakes = delicious