Monday, September 8, 2008

Peaches and Cream Dessert

Our last house was within walking distance of the local library, and every week, on the way home from storytime, the kids and I used to stop in at an op shop, and look at the books and foodie magazines. One time I happened to pick up a Australian Women's Weekly Menu Planner, from 1987. It had two course meals for 4 weeks, plus some 'treat' baking recipes. It has a lot of casseroles, and microwave dishes, it's generally very late 80s all round. Tonight's dessert comes from that book.

60g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup SR flour
1/2 cup milk
425g can of peaches, drained
300ml thickened cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Beat soft butter, sugar, egg, flour and milk in small bowl with electric mixer for a few minutes or until smooth and changed in colour. Pour into greased, oven-proof dish, top with peaches. Bake in moderate oven 40 minutes (or microwave on HIGH 8 minutes). Pour combined cream and extra eggs over peaches, sprinkle with combined sugar and cinnamon, bake in a moderate oven further 15 minutes or until set (or microwave on MEDIUM HIGH 5 minutes).


When askedf what he thought of it, DP replied "I'm still eating it aren't I?" Not a high compliment, but when he was done, he did concede it was "nice". I'm thinking the leftovers are going to be breakfast.

What?

Don't look at me like that - there's fruit in it!

Oh... no... I wasn't going to give it to the kids. This is my breakfast.

1 comments:

Amelia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.