Saturday, March 29, 2008

Chicken Parmagiana, with chips, bok choy and mushrooms



As you can see, I'm still working out how to use my new camera. Taking photos without getting excess glare from the extremely bright flash seems to be a problem, as does focusing. I know I've got a digital zoom, but I haven't figured out yet how to use it. Ah well, all in good time. At least the pictures are somewhat less blurry, and big enough to see now.

Dinner was nothing particularly special, just the parmas we were going to have on Wednesday till I got lazy. But it is a family favourite, and the bok choy with garlic, bacon and mushrooms was praticularly nice. Nothing elaborate - just slice about 5 or 6 mushrooms, and two cloves of Australian garlic (it's stronger, for chinese I'd use about 4) and fry on low heat in a pan with no oil or butter. I used the pan I'd fried the parmas in, but there was very little, if any, butter left in it. Chop up some bacon, I used one short cut rindless rasher, but that's all I had left, otherwise I'd probably use two. Add that to the pan too, and bring the heat up to high. While that's frying off, chop a bok choy in half, slicing the whites into managable pieces (if you have toddlers) and then add them. Do the same for the leaves, but only add at the very last minutes, and remove from the heat as soon as they begin to wilt and go bright green.

I always cheat with our parmagianas, I buy pre-crumbed chicken schnitzels from the butcher. Then all I really do in the way of cooking, is fry them till golden on both sides, and season a little. Then I throw them in an oven tray, smear them with pasta sauce from a jar, top them with a slice of ham (or if I'm feeling expansive, a lightly fried slice of bacon) and cover with cheese. Then I stick the lot in the oven till the cheese is melted and golden brown. Usually this is about the time the chips are done. Easy, but effective. It's not the best Chicken Parma DP has ever tasted (his sister holds the honour of making that) but it's good enough that he'll request it every now and then, and that's good enough for me.

Dessert post coming soon... the timer only just went off!

0 comments: