Saturday, March 1, 2008

My monthly reads - February

Please forgive me for having Jane Austen on here. Trust me, I doubt my brain will ever forgive me for putting it through the torture of reading it. Definite worst book of the month. But hey, at least now I can say I've read it, and it's one more off the 1001 to read.

Best book? I was a Teenage Fairy - Francesca Lia Block.

Best chapter/story in a book? The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More - Roald Dahl, being the title story.

I'd read this before in primary school, and it made a big impression on me then. I always thought I'd read it in his auto-biography, because it had such a "true" ring to it, and because the last story in the collection was a story from Dahl's life. I recently re-read both Boy and Going Solo, and didn't find the story, much to my disappointment. Now, meaning to read another Dahl book (Danny, Champion of the world) which is on the 1001 list, I stumbled across Henry Sugar by accident, and was kinda upset to realise it was fiction. But then I googled it, and found it was (loosely) based on a real guy after all.

Ok, enough blather, here's what I read in February.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe
Cooking up a Storm - Sam Stern
The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman
The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman
The Usborne First Picture Cookbook - Fiona Watt
Cool Kids Cook - Donna Hay
Chocolates and sweets to make - Rebecca Gilpin
Real Food, Real Fast - Sam Stern
A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula Le Guin
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More - Roald Dahl
Are you there God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Bloom
Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
I was a Teenage Fairy - Francesca Lia Block
A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
Let's Party - Alison Bell
Kid's Party Ideas - Marion Haslam
Obernewtyn - Isobelle Carmody
The Farseekers - Isobelle Carmody

0 comments: