Here's what the Encyclopaedia Galactica has to say about alcohol. It says that alcohol is a colourless volatile liquid formed by the fermentation of sugars and also notes its intoxicating effect on certain carbon-based life forms. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. It says that the effect of a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. The Guide also tells you on which planets the best Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters are mixed, how much you can expect to pay for one and what voluntary organizations exist to help you rehabilitate afterwards. The Guide even tells you how you can mix one yourself. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sells rather better than the Encyclopedia Galactica.
Yes folks, today was Douglas Adams' birthday. Since I'm going out for dinner tonight, the kids and DP are having defrosted leftovers. Instead of another lazy dinner night post, in honour of this occasion, I'd like to share with you a special recipe which was passed down to me by my sister. (please note that due to being povo, my bar has never been as well stocked as hers, so I've yet to try this. Since I'm 28 weeks pregnant, now isn't the best time either.)
Original (most likely copyrighted, but please don't sue) recipe in bold,
Earth equivalents (as near as can be) in italics.
Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
* Take the juice from one bottle of that Ol' Janx Spirit, it says.
* Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V - Oh, that Santraginean sea water, it says. Oh those Santraginean fish!!!
* Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzene is lost).
15ml Gin (straight from the freezer if you can)
* Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it (in memory of all those happy Hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia).
60ml Solo (or other carbonated lemon squash)
* Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heady odours of the dark Qualactin Zones; subtle, sweet, and mystic.
30ml Creme de Menthe
* Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian suns deep into the heart of the drink.
* Sprinkle Zamphour.
* Add an olive.
* Drink... but... very carefully...
The orginal recipe given to me did not include the Solo or the olive, and the only mixing instructions were frappe and garnish with a slice of lemon. I rather think that was not quite in the spirit of things, so I made those two slight modifications, and leave it to you how you build your drink.
Please, send me photos and reviews! Don't forget MBP's theme for March is Mixed Drinks
Not that I'm hinting or anything ;)