Monday, March 31, 2008

Oh my sweet giddy aunt... (Pioneer Woman's Dumplings!)

We had Beef Ragu. With spuds. It was tasty. But I don't want to talk about that. Because for dessert, we had this:

Bad photo, awesome dessert.

All 16 pieces of it.


Pioneer Woman's Apple Dumplings

You can find the original post here. I made it with strawberries as well, as I love strawberries, and wanted to make something to enter Strawberry Seduction.

Strawberry and Apple Dumplings to Die For
1 Granny Smith apple
16 strawberries
2 sheets of puff pastry
250g butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
cinnamon
3/4 cup Mountain Dew

Peel and core apple. Cut the apple into 16 thin slices. Trim the tops off the strawberries, and slice vertically into three. Slice the puff pastry into quarters, then cut each small square in half diagonally, to make triangles. Place a slice of apple in the centre of each triangle and top with one strawberry's worth of strawberry slices.


You can't see the apple in this photo, but it's under the strawberries, I promise.

Roll up each slice in the pastry, and place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan. Melt butter in a saucepan, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour over dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 175°C for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.


Dumplings with butter sauce - lots of butter. Probably too much butter.


After adding the Mountain Dew these babies are swimming!

Try them. It may sound sinful, it may sound ridiculous, but just take my word and try it. I too, was a cynic once. You must try these dumplings! Before Pioneer Woman revamped her page and got rid of the blog format, there was a lot of comments on this recipe. One lady said her husband got down on one knee and proposed to her again after taking one bite, another said her husband exclaimed "Now why would I want to eat at restaurants when I get food like this at home woman?" after tasting them. And it doesn't suprise me at all. Many people have blown diets over this dish. I, myself, have had four pieces tonight. I plan on having more tomorrow, as they are apparently just as good cold. Just a small mention, I've written the recipe here for Australian cooks, but the only thing I changed was slightly more Mountain Dew (though less than then 375ml can originally called for) and adding the strawberries. Please. Try this, your tastebuds will thank you.

This was an entry for Strawberry Seduction. Check back here for the round up link sometime early next week. C'mon... strawberries... you know you want to!

***EDIT*** Round up is here!

1 comments:

T’s Treats said...

Those dumplings sound awesome!!