Saturday, March 29, 2008

French Toast

For the best recipes, you need the best ingredients. So for french toast, I started with this:


Home made bread only ten minutes out of the oven.

Then pcmitcho on the forum said to do this:

French Toast
3 tablespoons thickened cream or milk
3 eggs
3 tablespoons caster sugar
pinch of cinnamon
6 thick slices of bread each cut diagonally
Butter

Combine the cream/milk, eggs, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Soak one slice of bread at a time in this mixture.
Melt half the butter and cook 3 or 4 pieces of bread at a time until golden on each side. Melt more butter and continue cooking until you have used all the bread.
Serve with crispy fried bacon drizzled with real maple syrup and a fried or poached egg on the side.

I didn't serve with bacon, just fake maple syrup, because we don't have the real stuff.
And tonight I found out a few things.

One: French toast hasn't "grown on" DP any since he was five when he decided he didn't really like it. (A fact I learnt after I fed it to him - but at least he tried it for me! True love!)

Two: I like the idea of french toast much more than I like the actual food itself - unless it's not actually supposed to be soggy and eggy tasting like mine was, and DP says it is supposed to.

Three: If you put enough maple syrup on anything, it'll taste like pancakes.

The only thing I did different was make up a second lot of egg mix half way through cooking, as I ran out of egg before I'd finished all six slices of bread. But perhaps that was meant to be six pieces of bread, ie three slices cut in half. Doesn't matter, it was all good anyway. I know this, since my housemate does like french toast and has had it before, and he said it was good.

So, not my cup of tea, but at least now I've tried it, and cooked it, and like last fortnight's Lemon Meringue Pie, that's not something I could have said without Cook's Club Challenge.

0 comments: